Monday, July 23, 2012

The Business of Being A Bachelor


It has been said that married men are healthier and more successful in life, and as a married man I do feel like I have been pretty successful in my career. However, some of the guys in my office were discussing whether or not it was easier the get promotions if you were a bachelor as opposed to a married man. The general feeling was that every day life is a balancing act where you have got to keep your numerous aspects aloft, paying the same particular attention to all of them. However, if you permit just one drop, it is possible to route your energies towards the remaining elements. Without a romantic relationship, you would theoretically have longer to dedicate to your job. You can decide to put in all those additional working hours for a project to impress your employer, and in some cases undertake something more important. And you don't have to concern yourself with compromising your love life, as you'll be single and energetic. That actually does make a great deal of sense. There are times when I have felt really bad having to call my wife and tell her I won't make it home for dinner because I have to finish up something urgent for a client. I am lucky that she understands so long as I do not make a habit of it. However, if I was on my own maybe I would be more inclined to stay late more often. I don't necessarily see that as a good thing though. Do I want to spend all of my time in the office? Wouldn't it be really easy to fall into the trap of forgoing a social life for the sake of my career? I think I'd rather bust my ass during the day and pull a late night one or twice a month and be able to go how to a warm meal and a companion. I don't really believe that your marital status has any bearing on how well you do in your career, I think it has more to do with work ethic and attitude. So Mrs Huey – your position as my chief caretaker is secure for some time yet! I'm not cut out for a lonely bachelor life!

No comments:

Post a Comment